Tutorial on Model-Based User Interface Optimization. Presented by Antti Oulasvirta and Anna Feit at SICSA Summer School on Computational Interaction 2015. The tutorial is targeted for Master’s and PhD level computer science students working in the field of HCI. Some familiarity with basic math and algorithms is required.
2. LETTER ASSIGNMENT (Anna Feit)
3. SOLVING REAL PROBLEMS
4. ADVANCED TOPICS
- Basic concepts of mathematical optimization in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_optimization
- Evolutionary algorithms (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm
- Genetic algorithms (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/genetic_algorithm
- Swarm intelligence (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/swarm_intelligence
- Ant colony optimization (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ant_colony_optimization
- Assignment problem (Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Assignment_problem
- Â Rao, Singiresu S., and S. S. Rao. Engineering optimization: theory and practice. John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- Marler, R. Timothy, and Jasbir S. Arora. “Survey of multi-objective optimization methods for engineering.” Structural and multidisciplinary optimization 26.6 (2004): 369-395.
- Bi, Xiaojun, Barton A. Smith, and Shumin Zhai. “Multilingual touchscreen keyboard design and optimization.” Humanâ€“Computer Interaction 27.4 (2012): 352-382.
- Bailly, Gilles, et al. “Menuoptimizer: Interactive optimization of menu systems.” Proceedings of the 26th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology. ACM, 2013.
- Karrenbauer, Andreas, and Antti Oulasvirta. “Improvements to keyboard optimization with integer programming.” Proceedings of the 27th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology. ACM, 2014.
- Sridhar, Srinath, et al. “Investigating the Dexterity of Multi-Finger Input for Mid-Air Text Entry.” Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2015.
- Dunlop M. and Levine J.. Multidimensional pareto optimization of touchscreen keyboards for speed, familiarity and improved spell checking. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2012
- Â Oulasvirta A. et al. Improving two-thumb text entry on touchscreen devices. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2013.
- Wolsey, L. A. Integer programming. Wiley Series in Discrete Mathematics and Optimization, 1998.